PHP Software Engineer
The Software Engineer role is a primary and vital role in the business that Helastel sells to our customers. You will spend your time working with others in the organisation on the creation of primarily web applications, web services, and websites. You will be responsible for helping to estimate, develop, and communicate on a variety of projects belonging to a diverse range of customers. You’ll work with a broad team of Business Analysts, Solution Architects, Quality Assurance Engineers, and Business Intelligence Engineers to deliver quality solutions together.
Your main role will be focused on code quality, successful delivery of releases on time, quality of documentation and estimating tasks; while an important secondary role will be to communicate with key stakeholders, and to be part of a software engineering team that supports and reviews each other’s output.
You will be responsible for:
- Providing high standards of quality in our code releases, with a top priority of ensuring bug free releases to customers and production environments.
- Analysing the requirements of projects in collaboration with Business Analysts and develop a plan, with stakeholder support, to construct the project solution.
- Investigate and implement solutions to project tasks within an agreed timeline.
- Supporting other software engineers in the organisation to provide peer reviews of colleagues code, and to aid in unblocking their progress where you’re able.
- Working with other team members in departments such as Solutions Architecture, Business Analysis, and Quality Assurance, to highlight and resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
- To work in a professional, collaborative and innovative way as part of a successful, fun-filled team that builds on the great culture and successful working environment that defines Helastel.
- Documenting project technical and functional specifications and requirements, and ensuring a high quality of documentation through the development process on projects.
- Estimating time and resources required to perform development tasks within defined timescales.
- Taking ownership over processes that lead to successful and high quality code releases, and implement improvements in those processes whenever required.
- Liaising with customers in client meetings to provide clear information and explanation about technical solutions that the organisation is providing them, and answer questions in a manner that they will understand.
- Communicating effectively with the Head of Development and any relevant other members of the organisation to highlight issues and problems in a prompt and timely manner.
You’ll bring the following to our team:
- Previous relevant industry experience as a Software Engineer, with proven experience using PHP 7 or PHP 8 and demonstrable experience of using OOP principles.
- Experience working with PHP frameworks such as Laravel.
- Experience in carrying out code reviews, pair programming, and other techniques that ensure high standards of code quality.
- Experience with version control systems such as Git.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Be extremely organised and focused on delivering on individual, team, and company commitments.
- Flexible and pragmatic in approach to developing code.
- Works autonomously, taking ownership for personal and team delivery and outcomes.
- Continuously develops and applies professional technical knowledge to drive excellent organisational performance.
- Works collaboratively and supportively with colleagues across the organisation.
- Communicates effectively with others in the team, senior management, and customers as required.
- A positive and eager attitude towards problem solving.
- £40,000 – £50,000