As Proposal Manager you will be working closely with the Commercial Director and sales team to produce quality proposals and bids in order to win new business and retain existing clients through the formal proposal, tendering and bidding processes.
- To manage the Proposal/ Bid Process through Gate reviews, coordinate resources and responses against timelines, write and manage commercial proposals for bespoke software engineering solutions and Intelastel product offers. This includes creating content for documents and presentations that ‘humanises’ what can often be highly technical descriptions.
- To generate attractive and meaningful proposal and bid content, including crafting words, tables, summaries, briefings and reports – with a focus on generating winning proposals
- To make sure that bids and proposals are technically and commercially sound
- To have commercial confidence and understanding so that you can make sure every proposal and bid offer value to both Helastel and our customers
- To work in a professional, collaborative and innovative way as part of a successful, fun-filled team that builds on the great culture and successful working environment that defines Helastel.
- To scan for tender opportunities and identify those that Helastel should bid for.
- Produce Bid Plans and be responsible for the bid Gate Process in line with desired customer and internal timelines.
- Generate compelling written proposal content where appropriate.
- Maintain an effective bid template library.
- Coordinate all parties involved in the bid process against the Bid plan and formal Gate reviews, ensuring everyone is aware of the level of contribution expected and any deadlines that are required to be met.
- Run internal information gathering sessions to understand the requirements of the opportunity, the complexity of the solution required and risk assessments for the business.
- Organise meetings, gather high-quality information from internal and prospect stakeholders in order to produce clear, concise and compelling bid collateral.
- Manage the communication of technical aspects of bids; ensuring that all technical information is presented in layperson terms for understanding by non- technical stakeholders.
- Be responsible for holding timeframes and deadlines for the delivery of bids and tenders.
- Proactively identify prospective new opportunities for tendering by environmental scanning.
- Become an active member of the Commercial Team, contributing to the good morale of the office and helping to instill discipline around bidding that will continue the successful development of the organisation.
- Maintain an awareness of opportunities arising within the formal G-Cloud and DOS frameworks and recommend opportunities to bid.
- Maintain up to date knowledge to support writing winning proposals under the Government Digital Outcomes Specialist (DOS) and G-Cloud frameworks.
- This will include developing an understanding of Agile project delivery, the Government’s Data Standards guidelines and the terminology used to demonstrate experience and confidence in delivering Agile projects.
Behaviours and qualities
- Knowledge and understanding of Government frameworks
- Knowledge and understanding of Government’s Data Standards guidelines
- High attention to detail with excellent editing and proofing ability
- Excellent literacy skills with an extensive vocabulary
- Highly effective communicator both verbal and written
- Ability to inspire and motivate others
- Assertive and tactful
- Well developed organisational and planning skills
- Thrive in a busy environment
- Deadline-driven with excellent time management skills
- Motivated, innovative, customer focused and have a ‘can do’ attitude
- Good fun and have a sense of perspective
- Degree educated
- At least 5 years relevant experience in bid management and proposal writing
- Evidence of formal Bid Management training – Shipley, APMP, etc
- Experience and understanding of Software Engineering bid writing
- Commercial/Sales awareness
- Experience of bidding for public and private sector contracts
- Knowledge of standard RFP and sales processes
- Strong and compelling written content production
- An appropriate level of familiarity with custom software development techniques and technologies
- Some knowledge of project management practices including Agile
- Experience of successfully bidding and winning DOS based contracts
- Understanding of web development and digital marketing
- Knowledge of Agile and Scrum software development processes
- Understanding of business and the basic concepts that drive business decisions