Head of Projects
Reporting directly to the Board, the Head of Projects will work with Function Heads and Technical Leads to deliver a portfolio of projects and consultancy assignments, taking responsibility for staff training, P&L, efficiency of delivery teams and customer satisfaction. Holding ultimate responsibility for the successful delivery of the projects within the portfolio, and for ensuring that those projects are delivered to the agreed quality, scope and cost is paramount to this role.
The Head of Projects will be instrumental in leading, shaping and motivating the Project Management practice. You will identify and proactively drive improvements to the processes and working practices within the practice.
- Managing the portfolio of projects and consultancy assignments, including the delivery methodology, change process and risk management
- Hands on management and delivery of key customer projects
- Ensuring excellent customer satisfaction through delivery of projects to the agreed cost, time, scope, quality and security constraints
- Regular reporting of projects within the portfolio to the Operations Director/Board.
- Proactive and effective management of internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Liaising with the PMO to manage demand according to priorities
- Liaising with the Commercial team to agree Helastel’s strategic approach to interactions with the customers
- Regularly reviewing the status of projects within the portfolio through ongoing interaction with Project Delivery Managers, ensuring that status is accurately captured and recorded by the weekly reporting cycle (internal Project Progress Reports and external Customer Checkpoint Reports)
- Supporting the monthly Operations reporting cycle by contributing to Operations board reports.
- Contributing to the creation and review of new project bids
- Responsibility for driving continuous improvement of project management processes and practices
- Identifying areas where resource/skill coverage presents a risk to project delivery
- Working in collaboration with the Board to devise and analyse business unit reports on utilisation and effectiveness to enable operational performance tracking by the Board.
- Contributing to external audits as required
- Contributing to department/business improvement of knowledge and use of development methodologies, particularly the Agile delivery process
Behaviour and qualities
- Approachable and motivational character
- Strong commercial awareness
- Commands respect among peers and managers
- Demonstrable ability to manage challenging, high pressured situations
- Demonstrable ability to mentor and lead team members
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentational)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to solve complex problems, with strong organisational skills
- Exemplary negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Extensive experience of successfully managing and delivering a portfolio of IT projects, both Agile and Waterfall
- Expert knowledge and demonstrable experience of scope control and change management
- Expertise in risk management
- Expertise in project scheduling
- Evident experience and knowledge of quality centric software development
- Demonstrable knowledge of estimation using multiple techniques
- Demonstrable knowledge of complex financial reporting
- Knowledge and experience of stakeholder management up to board level
- Experience of implementing performance measurement
- Professional certifications (e.g. PRINCE 2, Certified Scrum Professional)
- Knowledge of developing and managing business cases
- Experience of supply chain management
- Excellent understanding of project delivery and business standards (e.g. ISO 9001, ISO 27001)
- Good understanding of health and safety, and employment law
- Good understanding of software development standards (e.g. TickIT, IEEE)