Yes please. We would like to hear from you if you like the look of the work we do and think we would get along. Helastel almost always has openings for software development jobs as well as non technical roles. We are fiercely proud of the work we do here and it is a great place to work. You can read more about what it's like to work here on our Life at Helastel page.
We recruit practical, pragmatic people that can hold their own in a team of independent, bright colleagues. We aren’t always recruiting but we are always interested to know about like-minded people, so do register your interest even if there aren’t any specific roles below that are a fit for you.
Current opportunities with us
Senior iOS Software Engineer
We are looking for a bright individual, to be accountable for the design, delivery and implementation in line with customer vision and expectation. Working in collaboration with the wider team to deliver a positive and collaborative customer journey is absolutely key to this role. You will need to work with the leads to manage, assist and direct other Software Engineers.
- Ensure that the code you work with is scalable and future proof in such a way that it is easy to extend, understand and build on for other engineers.
- You will take responsibility for managing the technical delivery of iOS applications, including but not limited to, their strategy, decision making, risk identification and client support.
- Create functional and engaging applications based on design specification, conforming to best practice and Apple guidelines.
- Proactively develop technical skills and keep awareness of developments in the industry to support delivering what we do well.
- Provide realistic time estimations and in identifying and resolving any completion risks.
- Use Swift to develop new frameworks as well working with existing ones to develop high quality iOS applications
You will need to have the following experience and/or qualifications for this role:
- A minimum of 5 years experience in app development, with experience working with a wider technical team on multiple projects
- University education or appropriate further software industry experience
- Excellent knowledge of Swift, and experience of producing apps with complex functionality
- Understanding of good, practical architecture
- Excellent and demonstrable experience of git source control
- Demonstrable experience of preparing technical documentation
- Excellent organisational skills
- Design awareness
- Understanding of best practice for customers and businesses
- Proven knowledge of Linux
- Understanding of the concepts that drive business decisions
- Experience working with QMS
Does this sound like the kind of place you want to work?
Helastel is based on the Triangle in Bristol and makes bespoke software, websites and applications for clients in the UK and overseas. We’re a small company with big reach. We manage projects of great complexity for a company of our size. We’re commercially aware as well as super-techy - we communicate well and really understand our customers, and their customers’ customers. We’re informal and easy to talk to and we have great work-life balance.
This is what our software engineers sound like:
It’s really good working here. It’s partly because it’s a nice office in a great place with good people, partly because the work we do is cool and we’re mentored by experienced and seriously good brains, and partly the ethos of getting to know the client and why the software we’re working on makes a difference. But it’s mostly because we’re really into the work we do. You have to be able to make things happen to like working here - you have to really think and talk things out, find new ways of making things lovely, solve problems and produce work that you like doing and are proud of. No-one will spoon-feed you. That’s what keeps most of us here so long.
We write business-critical software, lots of it. Speed at coding isn’t the only important thing - fast is good but we’re also creative and collaborative. We’re often at tech events and hack days - one of our team made it to the final of the PayPal hack competition in San Francisco this year. We sport a good team for the PHP pub quiz and have hosted LAN parties in the office. We have to keep up with new stuff - you never know what’s going to turn up in the next project!